by, Danielle Stein
I talk a lot about nutrition and health. I talk a lot about how food is medicine and we are what we eat. However, today I want to talk about something a bit different, but keep in mind that just because it is different does not mean it is not as important as nourishing our bodies with the “right” foods. We also have to nourish ourselves with something else. I’m talking about a certain kind of love that is more important than any other you will have ever known.
I’m talking about self-love. This kind of love is the act of loving yourself- wholly, unconditionally and without reprimand. Think of the way you love your kids, your dog, your mother or father…do you love yourself just as much or (yes, please) more? You absolutely should love yourself more. I promise, this is not selfish; it is necessary.
I have a small request…I would like you to fall madly in love with yourself. Like I said, this is not selfish, it is necessary.
It’s no secret how wonderful, talented, beautiful and unique you are. So, why not? Not only is this act actually good for your health, but you will love life so much more if you do. Everything comes together when you do this. If you are having difficulty focusing on your health and wellbeing, this will help. If you are having trouble in a romantic relationship, this will help. If you are having trouble making new friends, this will help.
In life, you have to love yourself first, no questions asked. Everything in your life will start to thrive effortlessly when you do. You will radiate with love, joy and self-worth- it will be written all over your face. It is so beautiful, and I invite you to start today.
Start looking at yourself and your life differently starting right now. Focus on the love you have for yourself. Think about your accomplishments, your inner & outer beauty, your successes, your defeats…all apply. Wherever you are in your life; single, married, divorced, in a relationship, engaged- start your self-love journey today.
Follow this list for some of my favorite acts of self-love and although there are many more, I believe these will help get you started until you find some of your own favorites.
- Journaling. Such a great way to release. To release anger, frustration, self-doubt, negativity, self-hatred. I want you to write it all down. The good, the bad, the ugly. Let it go. I also want you to write down the things you’re grateful for. It can be intangible (like the air in your lungs, the beautiful day, or the love of your family) or something tangible like (your job, your new bed sheets, food in the fridge for your favorite meal).
- Treat yourself. Take the time to relax in a bubble bath, do some yoga, apply a new (organic!) face mask.
- Skip the television. Advertisements are incredibly well thought-out, but they do NOT serve your best interest. In fact, they are strategically thought out so that you actually feel terrible about yourself. I recommend recording your favorite shows so you can fast forward through them or watching a movie instead (preferably featuring a powerful, independent woman or something hilarious. Laughing has been scientifically proven to boost your mood.)
- Bake yourself a delicious, guilt-free treat (or treats)! Don’t subject yourself to the “sugar blues” any time, any day. The emotional roller coaster processed sugar causes will only make anything and everything going on in your life completely dramatized. Trust me. (I have many fab, easy, homemade, completely guilt-free dessert recipes on the blog. You can find them at any time!
- Call a family member or friend who lifts you higher (and preferably makes you laugh). Talking to a loved one who really knows you and just “gets you” is going to make you feel loved, happy and alive. Let them know what’s new and good in your life.
- Go for a walk or run outside. Connecting with nature combined with the endorphins from exercise is so good for the soul. It truly is an instant mood booster. Listen to your favorite playlist; something upbeat is always good.
- If you’re near the beach or another body of water – go there. Walk on the beach, sit and simply breath in the salty sea air, listen to the ocean or go for a quick dip. This always lifts my spirits way up and beyond. Don’t live near water? Go to a place that makes you feel at ease. The park, a hilltop…
- Go to the mirror, look at yourself, and repeat, “I accept and love myself exactly as I am.” I know it sounds a bit silly, but affirmations are very powerful. If you’re someone who is hard on themselves (and many of us are) you will really benefit from this. I want you to love yourself with all your heart. Saying this in the mirror will make your subconscious start to believe it, and therefore you will start to believe it and accept yourself for the fabulous person that you are. Say this affirmation over and over again if you want to, or whenever you walk past a mirror- the more the better.
- Pull an Oprah and make a vision board. Have you taken the time to sort out your goals lately? Vision boards have become increasingly popular, are very effective and a fun, creative activity in general. Print out pics from the web/pinterest or cut them out of magazines. Anything that you feel relates to your goals is great! Quotes, pics of inspirational people, landscapes that make you feel peaceful/somewhere you want to go are all great.
- Have a girls night! Drink a little red wine, prepare delicious, healthy meals and desserts, and vow to banish any negative self talk for the night (and all other nights would be ideal!). Go around and list the thing you each love about yourselves the most. Then give a compliment to each person there and them the same to you.
Self-love is one of the most important things when it comes to your health and wellness. Don’t let the media or society determine how you feel about yourself or who you are. This life is yours- conquer it. Start your self-love journey right now. Start giving yourself all the love you have to give! Be in love with yourself every minute of every day. It’s the best gift anyone could ever render. Remember how incredibly fabulous and beautiful you are-inside and out. Remember to be grateful for what you have (which I bet is a hell of a lot more than so many people!). Love yourself enough to make good choices. Stay positive and here’s to the exciting journey towards true health, wellness and self-lovin’ there could ever be!
Self-love yourself up, love yourself to pieces and never look back.
If you feel that you need personalized assistance regarding your health and wellbeing, please don’t hesitate to contact me to schedule a complimentary consultation.