by, Danielle Stein
I am a huge green smoothie advocate. They have seriously changed my life. I have one green smoothie (or one green juice -but today we’re all about smoothies) almost every single day.
They make me feel amazing, hydrated and energized.
It is important to line your stomach with something alkaline before you eat any meal and especially first thing in the morning. It helps with digestion which is the key to a healthy weight.
I truly can not put enough emphasis on how amazing they are for you and how great they make you feel.
I know green smoothies can be intimidating at first, but let me try and make it a tad easier for you with some tips, advice, recipes & by explaining the glorious benefits you will receive inside and out.
Benefits will include all of the following:
- Glowing skin
- Clear skin
- Enhanced energy
- Reduced stress
- More servings of veggies in 1 smoothie (if you do it right) than many people get in an entire day! Greens are the #1 food missing in most people’s diets today. After drinking them for a few weeks, you’re likely to crave them and other forms of greens too.
- Alkalinity in your blood system and body
- Nutrients, minerals and vitamins practically shooting straight into your bloodstream (almost as fast as fresh juice). The more we chew food the easier it is to digest and obtain the nutritional value. The problem is, many of us don’t take the time to chew as long as we should. I am guilty on numerous occasions! In this case, the blender does it for you!
- Fiber. Green smoothies (vs. green juice) are a complete food- they still obtain fiber which is important for our elimination process.
- Banana masks the flavor of almost any veggie concoction
- Ratio should be 3/4 veggies, 1/4 fruit
- Adding lemon juice adds fantastic fresh flavor and is detoxifying
- Use either filtered water, coconut water or coconut/almond/cashew, etc. milk for a base
- Cilantro and parsley pull toxins out of the body
- Coconut oil, coconut meat, avocado and almond/cashew/brazil nut butters are great for energy as they are great sources of healthy fats and will keep you fuller for longer. They also make for a great milkshake a.k.a. a creamier, dreamier smoothie!
For best results:
- Blend your leafy greens (kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc.) with the liquid of your choice first so you have a juice-like consistency then add the harder bits after that.
- The more you blend your veggies…
- the more chlorophyll you’re releasing. “Consuming chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.” –Dr. Ann Wigmore
- the more of the greens and fruits’ cells will be ruptured– releasing their valuable vitamins and nutrients and making it easily absorbed in the body.
- the smoother your smoothie will be- which will make it easier to digest and more delicious.
- Add ice for a refreshing, icy cold experience right away. (Or place in freezer for 15-20 minutes.)
- You can keep your smoothies in the fridge for up to 3 days if you are short for time, but drinking them fresh is the most nutritious.
* The Green Goddess
- Fill the blender to the top with romaine lettuce and spinach (half and half)
- 3 celery stalks
- Parsley to taste (a handful is good)
- ½ an apple
- ½ ripe banana (bananas that are green-ish and without any spots will be acidic instead of the intended alkaline pH when digested.)
- ½ cup of filtered water.
* Creamiest Green Smoothie
- 1 apple
- 1/2 pear
- 1/2 banana
- 3 handfuls spinach
- 3 stalks celery
- ½ small (Lebanese) cucumber
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ avocado
*Nutty Chocolate Green Smoothie
- 1Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (Preferably homemade. See my recipe here. )
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder (can be found at health food stores)
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
*Creamy Chocolate Green Milkshake
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk- find recipe here.
- 1 banana
- 4 handfuls spinach
- 1 packet organic stevia
- 2 Tbsp. Cacao powder
- ½ avocado
*Superfood Green Smoothie
- 1 tsp. spirulina (70% complete protein. More than steak which only contains 25% once cooked! Especially perfect for vegans; can be found at health food stores.)
- 2 Tbsp. desiccated, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. organic, virgin coconut oil
- 1 packet organic stevia
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 stalks kale leaves
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 3/4 apple
- 3 big handfuls of spinach
For more pics of delicious green smoothies and milkshakes find me on Instagram @_daniellestein_.
Are you ready to begin a lifetime of Optimal Beauty?